Welcome to the 2014 National Interagency Confederation
for Biological Research (NICBR) Spring Research Festival
The National Interagency Confederation for Biological Research (NICBR) includes the following organizations, most
of which are co-located on Fort Detrick:
- United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC) and United States Army Medical Research Institute of
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Integrated Research Facility (IRF)
- National Cancer Institute at Frederick
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service (ARS)
- United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS), National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- United States Navy, Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- United States Army, Installation Management Command
The Confederation is pleased to announce the eighteenth annual Spring Research Festival and the second sponsored
by the NICBR agencies. The Festival is a four day event including two seminar sessions, a key note speaker with
Poster Blitz and two Poster sessions. Scientific staff, including students, technical support staff, postdoctoral
fellows, and principal investigators will be presenting their research to the joint scientific communities.
festival starts with two events held at the Frederick Campus Conference Center, Building 549, Auditorium.
Monday, May 5th will be the
NICBR Scientific Symposium - The Microbiome: Host Response to Disease and
Tuesday, May 6th, NICBR Research Collaboration Forum.
On May 7th, the poster session is kicked off with a key note speaker followed by a Poster
Blitz from 9:30 to 11:00, Building 1529.
The festival continues on May 7th and 8th with poster presentations from 10:00 to 2:30pm
in the large tents along Porter Street, behind the Odom Fitness Center.
In addition to scientific poster sessions, the exhibition will include booths with information on local agencies,
educational opportunities, safety and scientific displays, as well as commercial exhibits of the latest scientific
equipment and technologies.
The goal of the festival is to acquaint our neighbors -- scientists, citizens, and especially students -- with
the nature of our research and to facilitate collaboration between partner agencies.
The Spring Research Festival is open to NICBR partners and the public. Appropriate clearance must be obtained
access the base.
Presentations & Exhibits
The last day for Poster and judge registrations is Friday, April 18th. This information will be in the
festival’s website, program and posters will be judged.
We are deeply grateful to all whose dedication, generosity and professionalism make
the Spring Research Festival tradition possible. Among them are:
- NICBR Representatives from each partnering agency for planning and sponsoring the festival.
- The U.S. Army Garrison at Fort Detrick for permitting use of Army land during Festival Week
- Theme art Photoshoped by William F Discher after Alphonse Mucha.
- Data Management Services, Inc., especially Mr. Christopher DeVaughn, Mr. Doug Nichols and Ms. Jillian DeShazer,
for endless web support and updating throughout the planning and duration of the Festival
- Ms. Andrea Frydl for assisting with judging assignments
- Facilities Maintenance and Engineering Labor Crew for helpfulness in all aspects of the Festival