Origin and Characteristics
To N 1951 from Heston at F57. From a cross of a Bagg albino female
and a DBA male by strong in 1920. A litter of 4 females and 2 males
sent to Andervont in 1930; to Heston at F35. Establishing the C3H/HenN
in the SPF barrier facility resulted in two groups of C3H/HeN mice,
MTV+ and MTV- C3H/MTV+ were established by inoculating a newly hysterectomized
C3H/HeN litter with purified C3H MTV.
+, C, rd
Agouti (wild type)
Car-2b, Ce-2b, Es-1b, Es-3c, Es-10b, Gpd-1b, Gpi-1b, Gusb, Hbbd,
Idh-1a, Lva, Mod-1a, Mup-1a, Pep-3b, Pgm-1b, Trfb
Hc0, H-2Dk, H-2Kk, Lyb-2c, Lyt-1b, Lyt-2a, Lyt-3a, Thy-1a, Tlab.
Information from references that do not specify MTV+ or MTV- is
listed under C3H/HeN-MTV- - 13, unless the MTV was obviously present.
- Mammary tumor incidence nearly 100% in virgins and breeders.
- Hepatomas in 85% of males at 14 months. (277)
- Mammary tumor incidence only 16% in virgin females, 72% in breeders
of C3H/HeNSa. (627)
- Early mammary tumors have proviral sequences which are complementary
to the C3H MTV RNA genome, are not found in normal tissues,
are nor germ line transmitted,
and are called Tumor Associated sequences (TA). (147)
- TA sequence endogenous to GR which hybridized with DNAs of C3H/Bi
substrains was not endogenous in C3H/HeN or C3H/St substrains.
- Mammary tumors appeared earlier and more frequently after transplantation
of fetal mammary gland mesenchyme into mammary gland of virgin
- Stilbestrol induced mammary adenocarcinomas in males. (656)
- Susceptible to infection by Leishmania tropica, but no clinical
signs of generalized infection. (063)
- High mortality in males after exposure to chloroform fumes;
kidney lesions of developed in males, but not females. (127)
- Suppressor cell population in spleens of C3H mice bearing MTV-induced
mammary tumors suppressed the blastogenic response of syngeneic
normal lymphocytes to Concanavalin A. (611)
- Mammary tumor bearing mice develop type-specific antibodies
capable of recognizing unique gp52 determinants, which distinguish
gp52s of GR and Rlll from C3H MTV
- C3H/Hen tumor associated gp52 has antigenic determinants not
found in C3H/HeNf tumor associated gp52. (022)