Strain Code 01C42 [CBA/NCr] (designated previously as CBA/HN)
Origin and Characteristics
To N 1966 from Harwell carrying gene for foam cell reticulosis as heterozygous stock.
The mutant was found in a radiation experiment conducted with the CBA/CaH strain.
sibmated since introduction to N.
A, B, C, Xid
Agouti (wild type)
Car-2a, Ce-2b, Es-1b, Es-3c, Es-10b,
Gpd-1b, Gpi-1b, Gusb, Hbbd, Idh-1b,
Lva, Mod-1b, Mup-1a, Pep-3b, Pgm-1b,
Hc1, H-2Dk, H-2Kk, Lyb-2b, Lyt-1a,
Lyt-2a, Lyt-3b, Thy-1a, Tlab.
- Lethal dose 50 of Salmonella typhimurium for CBA/N was 1000-fold less than
for CBA/caHN; the increased susceptibility was X-linked from F1 studies.
- Plasmodium yoelii and Babesia microti infections were more severe
and lasted longer in defective F1 males than in normal males. (334,313)
- The CBA/N mouse carries an X-linked recessive defect expressed in B lymphocytes.
- Grafts of fetal liver from CBA/H-T6T6 into irradiated or unirradiated immunodeficient
CBA/N mice indicated that CBA/N mice are deficient in a category of pre-B cells
which are found in fetal liver. (532)
- Most of the functional behavior of B cells can be explained by a deletion of a mature
B cell subset. (491,637,533)
- B lymphocytes in spleen are reduced in number. (636)
- B cells with high IgD.IgM ratios are absent. (832)
- B cells are Lyb 3-, Lyb 5-, and Lyb 7-. (104,001,717)
- B cell surfaces have low Mls determinants and low C3 receptors. (491,001,634)
- No antibody formed in response to rl.rC. (633)
- B cells from male and female (CBA/N x CBA/CaJ)F1 were receptive to T cells help
from female F1 T cells, but male T cells could not augment polyclonal
B cell responses of either male or female F1 mice to LPS, suggesting
an intrinsic T cell defect. (224)
- B cells activated by both DNP-LPS and DNP-chicken gamma globulin are rendered tolerant
by prior exposure to DNP-Ficoll, implying possession of a B cell type not found
at any stage during ontogeny o normal mice. (443)
- When DNP-hemocyanin is administered after DNP-MGG, B cells are unresponsive to subsequent
challenge with DNP-hemocyanin, mimicking 3-5 day neonatal B cells. (459)
- No anti-PC IgM or IgG antibodies produced against phosphorylcholine conjugated T-dependent
or T-independent antigens, but IgE antibodies to PC-determinant produced when immunized
with PC-keyhole limpet hemocyanin. (365)
- Immature B cells wre functionally indistinguishable from normal immature cells,
in that both could be triggered to respond to thymus-independent antigens, provided
they were supplied with helper T cells, supporting the idea that the CBA/N B cells
have deviated during development so that only thymus-dependent B cells develop.
- Fail to produce at least some seta of high affinity antibodies after immunization
with sheep erythrocytes (SRBC). (307)
- Primary IgM anti-SRBC response is 10-50% of normal, and primary IgG anti-SRBC response
is less than 10% of normal. (635)
- No response to DNP-lysyl-Ficoll, TNP-Ficoll, or TNP-dextran. (637,490,716)
- IgM response to type III pneunococcal polysaccharide (LPS) was extremely low, and
response to TNP-LPS was low. (011,560)
- Male and femal x-linked responsiveness to Type III pneumococcal polysaccharide (SSS-III)
differ. Both produce an extremely low antibody response to SSS-III but females tend
to respond slightly better than males as measured by SSS-III specific PFC. (011)
- Functional colony-forming B cells are entirely lacking. (360)
- CBA/N mice have high natural killer cell activity as do other CBA sublines which
do not have the X-linked defect. (624,625)
- The X-linked defect of T-independent immune response was completely expressed in
CBA/N x NZB mice, suggesting that the NZB B cell abnormality resulting in excessive
IgM production occurs in the B cell population affected by the X-linked defect.
- Although the B-cell response to bromelain-treated mouse erythrocytes is under sex-linked
control, low levels of anti-BrMRBC PFC were induced by either specific (17XL Plasmodium
yoelii) or nonspecific mechanisms (LPS), and the defect was largely overcome
with age in both homozygous and hemizygous mice, probably as a result of environmental
- Response to SRBC and LPS increased markedly with age, and spleen cells showed a
distinct age-related increase in the percentage of surface lg+ cells. (792)