Strain Code 01S30 [SJL/N]
Origin and Characteristics
To N 1969 from Herberman as penbred stock, then brother-sister mated. Developed
from Swiss-Webster stock brought to Jackson Lab between 1938 and 1943. Penbred until
1955 when brother-sister matings started.
Car-2b, Ce-2a, Es-1b, Es-3c, Es-10b,
Gpd-1b, Gpi-1a, Hbbs, Idh-1b, Lva,
Mod-1a, Mup-1a, Pep-3b, Pgm-1b, Trfa
Hc1, H-2Ds, H-2Ks, Lyb-2c, Lyt-1b,
Lyt-2b, Lyt-3b, Thy-1b, Tlaa.
- Reticulum cell sarcoma in 70-80% of males and females over 1 year of age; multicellular
type B neoplasms resemble Hodgkin’s disease. As neoplasms develop, YG1 and
YG2 paraproteinemia appear. (247,773)
- In comparison with other inbred strains, SJL is susceptible to Friend S and B viruses.
- Urethane only slightly leukemogenic, but 7, 12-dimethylbenzanthracene increased
lymphocytic neoplasms from 2% to 83% in young mice. (159,247)
- Neither of 2 leukemia-specific cellular antigens, G (Gross) or TL (thymus-leukemia)
were detected. (159)
- Only 5% of normal amount of λ light chains synthesized in serum immunoglobulins.
In contrast to other strains with Ig-1b allotype, SJL expresses only traces of NPb
idiotype in their anti-NP antibodies, the L chains of which are almost exclusively
of the chi type; hybridization studies indicated that this failure was due to the
λ low phenotype. (325)
- Responsive to pertussis HSF. (778,500)
- High resistance to whole body X-irradiation. (502)