Section 508 Critique Example
The C&SS 508 team frequently reviews Word, PowerPoint, and Acrobat files for
508-compliance. Below you will find a example of one of the critiques that we provided
after receiving a PowerPoint presentation for posting to the CCR web site.
Original PowerPoint presentation
(Please note that this PowerPoint presentation is intentionally not 508 compliant
for the purpose of demonstrating issues that need remediation).
The text of the critique:
We have completed our 508 review of the TRACO Powerpoint file and have the following
suggestions to bring the document into compliance. You may also want to read Modules
1 and 5 at this address: http://www.hhs.gov/web/508/testdocuments.html. We used that
checklist to review your document.
- The following document properties need to be fully filled in: Subject and Keywords.
You can find these properties under the File menu => Properties.
- Slides 1, 2, 6, 9, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 23, 33, 34, 36, 40, 43, 47, 48,
50, 51, 55, 57, 59, 62, 64, 65, 66, 75, 77, 78, 79 and 80 need to have alternative
text. You can add alternative text in Powerpoint 2003 by right clicking on an image,
then selecting "Format Picture", then selecting "Web". This will display a box where
you enter alternative text to describe the picture, graph, chart, etc.
- Chart on slide 11,36,48 and 50 have too many graphs and/or charts on one page.
A screen reader will have a problem reading them
- Slides 4,5,16 and 19 contain hyperlinks that are not active.
- On slides 56,58,63,68 and 70 each have the word RANDOMIZE , this word should be
put at the top of the chart as a normal title for the screen reader. A screen reader
will read the data left to right.
Please feel free to call or email if you have any questions.
Galen, Zach, Susan and Rick
C&SS 508 Team