Microtomy is Cutting Edge Work! It is the area of the laboratory, where blocks (usually in paraffin) are sectioned to produce slides that can be evaluated microscopically. A level of expertise rarely found anywhere else. These expertise include, but are not limited to:
- Complex serial and step sectioning
- On mice and other organisms
- Cutting of plastic resins
- Cutting of extremely thick or thin sections (2 µ to 1000 µ)
- Routine Hematoxylin and Eosin slides (H & E’s): great quality slides are done in a timely manner
Our expert histologists are able to zero-in on small details and minute structures.
- Also specializing in rodent embryos, can target specific locations following the M.H. Kaufmann’s "The Atlas of Mouse Developement"
Cryotomy – Frozen Sectioning
Frozen or fixed sections are used as an alternative to formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) tissues. Frozen sections are used when the normal fixation/processing regime may denature the target. Examples where this may be important are:
- Demonstration of lipids
- Enzyme histochemistry
- Beta Galactosidase
- Special stains