The Scientific Library has begun collecting materials for the 16th Annual Book and Media Swap and will continue to do so through Tuesday, October 25. Opening day for the Swap is Wednesday, October 26, and the event will continue through Wednesday, November 30.
The Annual Book and Media Swap is the perfect opportunity to make some room in your personal collection. Maybe you have some books that need a new home, or you’re tired of watching the same DVDs. Perhaps you need to clean out some old CDs from your car.
At this year’s Swap, you’ll have the opportunity to trade books, DVDs, and CDs that you’ve already enjoyed for “new” ones you haven’t yet encountered.
Here’s how it works…
Bring your items to the Scientific Library any time between now and Tuesday, October 25.
Employees at the ATRF can drop their items off at the ATRF library on the second floor, Room E2003. Scientific Library staff will visit the ATRF and Industry Lane to collect donated materials, saving employees working off-site an extra trip to the campus. However, off-site employees will still have to come on campus to visit the actual Book Swap.
The staff will accept all gently used materials as long as three requirements are met:
1) All materials must be clean and in good condition.
2) All materials must be commercially produced. Home-recorded or amateur-created products will not be accepted.
3) All materials must be personal items. Please do not include materials that were purchased by your project. Those items are government property, and may not be donated.
Also, please note that no videotapes or magazines will be accepted.
When you bring your books, DVDs, and CDs into the Library, the Library staff will issue a “book card” that indicates how many items you have donated. Then, you can take as many items as are indicated on your card. You don’t have to make an exact swap, either. For example, if you donated three CDs, you could take three books, DVDs, or CDs, or a combination.
Opening day for the Swap will be Wednesday, October 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. in the Conference Center Lobby in Building 549. Then, beginning Thursday, October 27, the Swap will be held in the Scientific Library during regular library hours (Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) until Wednesday, November 30.
At the conclusion of the Swap, all unclaimed items will be donated to local charities.
The Scientific Library encourages all employees to use the 16th Annual Book and Media Swap as an opportunity to recycle reading materials, share with others, save some money, and find “new” books to read.
Important Dates for the 16th Annual Book and Media Swap:
1) Monday, September 26 — Collection began
2) Tuesday, October 25 — Final day of collection
3) Wednesday, October 26 — Book Swap kick-off day in Building 549
4) Thursday, October 27 — Book Swap continues in the Scientific Library
5) Wednesday, November 30 — Final day of the Book Swap