Need help? Email the Webmaster
The NCI-Frederick Office of the Director Research Support (ODRS) Program:
ODRS is a funding source provided to NCI investigators for pilot studies conducted with the AIDS Cancer Virus Program (ACVP), and for Laboratory Animal Science Program (LASP) the following core programs:
- Pathology/Histotechnology Laboratory (PHL, LASP)
- Mouse Model Core Technologies Laboratory (genetically engineered mouse models and cryopreservation services) (TMM LASP)
- Animal Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (AMDL LASP)
- High-Throughput Animal Genotyping Laboratory (HTGT LASP)
- Small Animal Imaging Program (SAIP, LASP)
- Quantitative Molecular Diagnostic Core (QMDC, ACVP)
- Genome Modification Core (GMC, LASP)
The NCI at Frederick’s Office of Scientific Operations (OSO) may support a percentage of the cost of pilot studies that meet specific requirements as described.
Criteria for ODRS Funding
- ODRS-supported pilot studies are neither Technology Development Projects (“Innovation” and “Progression”, fully funded by OSO), nor routine Core Services (fully funded by an investigator).
ODRS-funded pilot studies typically have a small number of samples and controls and are characterized by one or more of the following criteria:
- They test the feasibility of newly developed technology and/or determining the suitability of newly developed capabilities for subsequent use as a LASP Core Service.
- They carry a higher risk for successful completion than routine Shared Service studies.
- They are investigatory in nature; as such, a defined end product or result is not guaranteed.
- They are new work, not simply the continuation of existing studies with previous ODRS support or an extension of Shared Service work.
- May represent the application of a new technology to a continuing study.
Mechanism for Obtaining ODRS Funding
NCI investigators seeking ODRS funding for their pilot study should first discuss their situation and needs with either ACVP LASP laboratory director/scientist.
- If not sure who is the director/scientist, please call the LASP or ACVP point of contact, Jim Cherry (240-292-0242)
- LASP-specific Core Service Requests should be prepared analogously by the investigator in conjunction with the LASP laboratory director/scientist. Approval by OSO (Contracting Office Representative for LASP/ACVP) is required for all requests regardless of investigator’s NCI affiliation.
- The requesting NCI investigator is expected to contribute a percentage of the estimated costs of the pilot study.
- The LASP/ACVP laboratory director/scientist will then provide a cost estimate to the requesting NCI investigator for agreement.
- Typical ODRS contributions range from $1,000 to $10,000. Requests for funds in excess of this amount will be considered, but will require additional review.
- Should actual project costs exceed the approved estimate for any reason, work will be suspended until additional funds are secured through a separate Shared Service Request.
Please note that NCI at Frederick OD Research Support funds are not available to investigators from other NIH institutes, other government agencies, or non-government institutions and enterprises.