Campus Information / Maps
Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research is located within the Ft. Detrick
U.S. Army facility in Frederick, Maryland. Please be aware that you will be asked
to provide Ft. Detrick security with proof of identification, and your vehicle may
be briefly searched, before being allowed to enter the facility grounds. Below you
will find some useful maps of the Campus area.
Frederick National Lab Campus Map [PDF]
For additional information and door to door driving directions, please use the Frederick National Lab Visitor's Guide.
NIH Campus Security
Please reference the NIH Campus Visitors
Map [PDF] to locate visitor entrances, visitor parking, and the Natcher
Auditorium, as well as other pertinent details.
- Visitors may access the NIH campus through one of two visitor centers—the NIH Gateway
Center at the Metro entrance (Rockville Pike and South Drive) or the West Visitor
Center at Old Georgetown Road and South Drive. The Gateway Center is open 24 hours
a day, 365 days a year. The West Visitor Center will be open M-F, 5:00 a.m. – 9:00
p.m. except for federal holidays and is available for pedestrians only.
- Visitor vehicles will undergo security screening at the Metro entrance.
Be sure to allow extra time for the vehicle inspection procedure.
- Visitors will be asked to show one form of valid government-issued photo identification
and to state the purpose of their visit in order to receive a visitor’s pass. Examples
of acceptable identification include: driver’s license, passport, military ID, other
government agency IDs, green cards.
- Please note: visitor parking is limited at NIH. Visitors are encouraged
to use public transportation such as the Metrorail subway system which has a convenient
stop (Medical Center) on the NIH campus. Visit the "Metro" site for information
on fares and schedules http://www.wmata.com/.
- Visitors must park in designated visitor parking lots (see visitor access map). Vehicles will be inspected prior to
parking in underground or multi-level garages.
- Public buses are no longer allowed to circulate on campus. Visitors
arriving by bus will be dropped off at the NIH/Medical Center Metro stop at Rockville
Pike and South Drive.
NIH Visitor Information
This site includes information about transportation, directions, parking, security,
maps of the NIH campus and Bethesda area, shuttle schedules, and more.