The procurement of capital equipment has a specific set of processes. A complete
PR package must be received by the Purchasing Department in order to begin the procurement
process. The requirements follow:
Definition of Capital Equipment
Capital equipment is defined as non-expendable equipment with a system acquisition
cost of $5,000 or more and a life expectancy of at least two (2) years.
Preparing the Capital Equipment PR Package
Complete a Purchase Request listing the items and/or system(s) with a recognizable
description. The approver is the person with signature authorization for the total
dollar amount for the listed project number. The Deliver-to field refers to the building
and room where the equipment will be delivered and used.
Note: With the amount of information required for capital equipment purchases, please
do not submit other extraneous information. It does not replace required information,
and it either impedes the progress of the procurement or does not help. Information
on the PR includes:
- List items and/or systems with a recognizable description and manufacturer's catalog
- PR signature authorization for capital equipment for the listed project number
Information to be submitted as part of the PR package:
- Product literature - vendor literature of the equipment being requested
- Quotes - all quotes obtained during market research
- Routing Slip - signed by the appropriate Building Coordina
- Limiting Competition - a justification form is required if competition
is to be limited or no competition is anticipated. The Justification for Single/Sole
Source form (CG3) or Vendor Recommendation form (CG3a), must be competed and submitted
with the PR, which documents the facts leading to this conclusion.
- Other forms. Two other forms, the Worksheet for Limited Competition and
the Product Comparison Worksheet may also be used to capture pertinent market research
- Essential features - if limiting to one manufacturer, list those features
that determined the decision
- Acceptable manufacturers - list acceptable manufacturers as part of the
PR package, if applicable
- Trade-in - for trade-in of government-owned property, indicate the decal
number/serial number of the equipment and list the trade-in allowance on the PR.
- Standardized Equipment Checklist - submit appropriate checklist for standardized
equipment category form, if applicable (see C&A Forms at http://ncifrederick.cancer.gov/Cad/Forms.aspx for checklists).
- Alternate Models for Standardized Equipment - submit justification for
equipment if requesting a manufacturer/model other than those on the Standard Equipment
Checklist Form (see C&A Forms at http://ncifrederick.cancer.gov/Cad/Forms.aspx for checklists).
Obtaining Additional Required Signature Approvals
Additional signature approvals are transmitted via CostPoint workflow for Finance (for Leidos and NCI programs), EHS (when required), C&SS (for IT approvals) and Property approvals. See CostPoint Procedure Manual – Purchase Request Approval Process section.
Cancellation and Return of Incomplete PR Packages
Capital equipment purchase request packages received incomplete may be cancelled
in CostPoint and returned to the requestor listed on the PR with a Return of Capital Equipment Purchase Request Form listing
the missing information or approvals. An e-mail notification will be sent to the
requestor and approver indicating the cancellation of the PR package.
Capital Equipment Communication Chain
The requestor and approver listed on the PR will receive a status update e-mail
as listed below: