Did You Know???
- One recycled aluminum can saves enough energy to power a television or computer
for 3 hours or a 100 watt bulb for 20 hours
- A six pack of recycled aluminum cans saves enough money to drive car 5 miles
- Recycling one glass bottle saves enough energy to light a 100 watt light bulb
for 4 hours
- Recycling a one gallon plastic milk jug saves enough money to keep a 100 watt
light bulb burning for 11 hours
- Recycling a one foot high stack of newspapers saves enough electricity to heat
a home for 17 hours
- For every 5 mph over 60 mph, you will use about 7% more gas
- Recyclable plastics come in many shapes and sizes. Not sure what is recyclable
let us help.
- All plastic containers eight ounces to five gallons are required to be imprinted
or molded with a symbol to identify the type of plastic.
The symbol code is a single digit ranging from 1-7, surrounded by a triangle of
- Acceptable types of plastic on the Fort Detrick campus include:
#1 - Soda and water bottles, medicine containers, salad dressing bottles. Once items
have been processed they can become fiberfill for winter coats, sleeping bags, and
#2 - Laundry detergent containers, milk jugs, shampoo bottles, cereal box liners.
Once these items have been processed and are used for toys, piping, plastic lumber
#4 - Wrapping films, sandwich bags, bread bags. Once these items are processed they
can be used in lumber and trash can liners.
The following will give Purchase Cardholders, Blanket User buyers and Requestors
'tips' for buying and thinking Green!
What you can do:
- By consolidating orders, we can help reduce multiple deliveries and green house
gases on campus.
- Produce double sided documents whenever possible
- Encourage communications via email, read email messages to determine whether it
is necessary to print, if it's not, Don't!!
- Buy copier paper with minimum 30% post consumer recycled content (SPWH-75105815)
- Purchase multiple item packs (uses less packaging materials)