The Scientific Library serves all types of researchers and support staff at NCI at Frederick, including principal investigators, staff scientists, postdoctoral fellows, postbaccalaureate fellows, lab support staff, and students and interns. NCI at Frederick staff and researchers with different information needs can take advantage of a wide variety of services and resources from the Scientific Library. Here are just a few ways the Scientific Library can assist different types of researchers and NCI at Frederick staff:
Principal Investigators and Staff Scientists
- Customized reports on research impact for an individual author or for a lab/ department.
- Current awareness alerts to get updates on scientific topics, journals, authors, and citation alerts for a document or author.
- Literature searches to save you time and provide comprehensive results from a wide range of databases.
- Access to OneSearch, a single search box to speed up the research process by quickly searching across millions of articles, books, and media available through the Scientific Library resources and collections.
Postdoctoral and Postbaccalaureate Fellows
- Books and electronic resources on professional development.
- Quiet study rooms for meetings, phone calls, and studying.
- Instructional classes and customized trainings on a wide variety of databases (including PubMed, Web of Science, Scopus, NCBI resources, Pharmaprojects, and more).
- Assistance with setting up author identifiers and publication lists, including ORCID, Publons/ResearcherID, and My Bibliography (NCBI).
Lab Support Staff
- Request form to obtain any article or book, even if it isn’t available in the Scientific Library collection.
- Training and support for EndNote, a tool for managing references and PDFs and formatting citations in Microsoft® Word® and PowerPoint®.
- Answering questions about the NIH Manuscript Submission System and NIH Public Access Policy.
Students and Interns
- Introductory trainings on EndNote and PubMed.
- Annual events, such as the Summer Video Series and the Student Jeopardy Tournament.
- A list of education and career development resources on the Scientific Library website.
Visit the Scientific Library website to learn more about Library resources and services, or contact Library staff by phone, email, or in person for more information.