The Scientific Library’s 19th Annual Book & Media Swap is coming up, where NCI at Frederick staff can donate books, DVDs, or CDs and trade for other donated books and multimedia.
Collection for the book swap will begin on Monday, September 30, and continue throughout October, leading up to opening day on Wednesday, October 30.
How to Participate in the Book & Media Swap
The Scientific Library will accept donations of any gently used materials that meet these requirements:
- They are clean and in good condition.
- They were commercially produced. The Library cannot accept any home-recorded or amateur-created products.
- They are personal items. Please don’t include materials that have been purchased by your project. Those items are government property and may not be donated to this activity.
- They are books, DVDs, or CDs. Videotapes and magazines will not be accepted.
When you bring your materials into the Library, you will be issued a book card that indicates how many items you have donated.
If you work at the ATRF, Industry Lane, or the Vaccine Pilot Plant, you will also be able to participate in the swap. Scientific Library staff will visit off-site locations to collect donated materials. However, you will still need to come to the swap in Building 549 to pick new books or multimedia.
The donation period ends Tuesday, October 29.
Opening Day: New Wrapped Clue Books
Beginning at 10:00 a.m. on October 30 in the conference center lobby in Building 549, you can visit the swap to find new items. You may take as many as are indicated on the card you received when donating. You don’t have to make an exact swap (for instance, if you donated three CDs, you can take three books, DVDs, CDs, or a combination thereof). The swap will remain open until 2:00 p.m.
New to the swap this year are wrapped clue books, works of various genres wrapped in paper and labeled with clues about their identity. Follow the clues to solve the mystery of a good book! Visit the Scientific Library stand at the farmer’s market on the first and third Tuesdays of the month for a sneak peek of the wrapped clue books.
After opening day, the swap will continue in the Scientific Library through Friday, November 29. At the conclusion of the swap, all unclaimed materials will be donated to local charities.
Important Dates for the 19th Annual Book and Media Swap
- Monday, September 30 - Donation period begins
- Tuesday, October 29 - Final day of donation period
- Wednesday, October 30 - Opening day in Building 549
- Thursday, October 31 - Swap continues in the Scientific Library
- Friday, November 29 - Final day of the swap